Jobs and Internships
director of development
The Adventure Project is seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to become our first Director of Development. In this role you will have the chance to help build our organization. Just five years old, The Adventure Project has already had a serious impact, creating 887 jobs and impacting over one million people in Kenya, Uganda, Haiti, and India. Over the last year, we have grown 150%, reached 6,000 individual supporters, won DVF's People's Voice Award and built strategic partnerships with major corporations such as Mattel, American Express and Videology. Now, we are poised for growth.
Our vision is to create 1 million jobs over the next ten years, impacting 500 million people living in poverty. Our goal for 2016 is to scale to two new countries and create 3,000 jobs. This position will be critical to develop a portfolio that will contribute to our long term growth strategy.
The Director of Development will work closely with and report to our Co-Founder and CEO, Becky Straw. This pivotal role will lead the Adventure Project's strategic fundraising that includes individual major gifts, corporate giving, major campaigns, special events, planned gifts and annual campaigns. You will be responsible for the following:
- As a senior member of the team, you will work closely with the CEO to align with and drive annual team goals
- Develop a national fundraising strategy to increase donations to $4 million in 2016.
- Personally raise $1M dollars for our programs and operations through individual giving and manage the responsibility of raising another $3M through your direct team
- Spearhead the development strategy for the $5-50K donor segment, working with the team to identify strategies and best approaches for renewing and growing gifts
- Work alongside pro bono PR firm to increase awareness and reach new audiences.
- Oversee staff and interns who research, prospect, and assess potential donors, and delegate relevant work to front-line fundraising team
- Build a robust donor base, developing and maintaining key long-term relationships with donors and prospects
- Identify staffing needs for ongoing development and growth and work with senior leadership team to build a high capacity team
- Train and mentor development staff and communicate fundraising goals and progress throughout the entire organization
- Bachelor's degree
- At least five years of experience in fund development leadership
- Proven success in fund development for a medium/large nonprofit. Experience executing on goals and fundraising from multiple donor channels
- Experience in planning, leading, and managing development projects, including coordinating with peers to achieve desired outcomes, and tracking and reporting on progress to executive team
- Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising. Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials
- Extensive management experience
- Collaboration. You possess the ability to work effectively with others to reach common goals and objectives.
- Relationship Building. You're skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers, across different levels of the organization, and externally with supporters.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit. You take initiative and actively seek to deepen current supporter relationships and to forge new ones.
- You're an influencer. You get others to accept ideas by using convincing arguments, creating a win-win situation, and responding appropriately to key stakeholders.
- Strategic Thinking. You have the strategic prowess and social intelligence required to help build scalable models that leverage The Adventure Project's brand, assets, relationships and opportunities to meet aggressive growth targets.
- Passion for ending extreme poverty through job creation. You have a keen understanding of international, sustainable development.
- You believe in the future of The Adventure Project.The success of this role is critical to The Adventure Project's growth.
salary and compensation
Salary is commensurate with experience and skills. The Adventure Project offers a competitive benefits package.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Carrie@TheAdventureProject.org for consideration. The Adventure Project is an equal opportunity employer.
We're seeking interns for the Spring
Fundraising is a core function of The Adventure Project. Our development team is multi-faceted, and we are constantly looking for creative ways to expand our base and cultivate our current supporters. We set the bar high with lofty goals. This position will assist in implementing our fundraising plan, and raising money for our international partners. You’ll learn the ins and outs of fundraising (a crucial skill set for a career in the nonprofit world).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Help us get to know our supporters better and create lasting partnerships by researching and inputting supporter details into our CRM system.
- Help to grow our supporter base by investigating new partnership opportunities.
- Attend meetings and events with high level prospects and help pitch The Adventure Project’s mission and impact.
- Help us appreciate our supporters by sending personal thank you’s and periodically engaging with supporter base.
A recent college graduate or junior/senior working towards a bachelor's degree or higher. Prior experience with a CRM system (like Salesforce or Netsuite) is a plus. We’re looking for someone who is a go-getter, a good communicator, organized and analytical. You should love meeting new people, be passionate about the cause, and be eager to jump right in.
OPERATIONS AND SPECIAL EVENTS
The is the "Wizard of Oz" behind the curtain. You will be a key player in our events and campaigns, helping make them a success. You’ll also get to learn the ins and outs of operating a fast-paced, growing nonprofit.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operating smoothly means we have more time to raise money to support our programs in the field. You'll be helping behind the scenes by workshopping operations strategies with leadership and keeping the office organized and running efficiently.
- Help the team pull off quarterly events hosted by our supporters.
- Assist with planning strategies and executing logistics for our upcoming fundraising campaigns including World Water Day in March.
- Keeping our office space stocked and organized.
- Be the weekly runner; jog to the bank and post office each week.
A recent college graduate or junior/senior working towards a bachelor's degree or higher. Someone who is organized, not afraid to ask questions, takes initiative and never gives up. You should believe in the cause, have a great attitude and be flexible.
COMMUNICATIONS AND SOCIAL MEDIA
We’re storytellers - sharing compelling stories with thousands of followers is our bread-and-butter. Social media and branding are essential for us to communicate our mission and mobilize support. This internship will provide invaluable communications and social media marketing experience. You’ll be supporting our incredible social media development team - managing timelines, developing strong copy, growing our movement and tracking our growth.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Help us share our stories from the field and reach new supporters by expanding our social media presence.
- Keep our social media development team organized and on track for campaign goals by managing our social media calendar and setting timelines.
- Organize and manage our photos, videos and multimedia from the field so we can tell amazing stories about our impact.
- Help us get to know our followers by replying to comments and incoming messages.
- Make sure our posts are effective by tracking and evaluating social media growth based on our current goals.
- Monitor our website and social media analytics and briefing the team.
- Build our brand and increase our following by ensuring consistency of messages and branding across multiple platforms.
- Track and improve our website traffic by optimizing our Google Analytics platform.
- Draft Press Releases and communications briefings alongside our PR agency.
A recent college graduate or junior/senior working towards a bachelor's degree or higher, preferable in communications, marketing or journalism. Prior experience managing a social media presence is a plus. Someone who is an expert copy editor, creative, eager to learn, loves branding, and believes in the cause.
We are looking for someone who is organized, excels at Excel and loves mail merging! The ideal candidate will have a background in accounting, a strong work ethic, and high sense of professionalism. This internship is a great fit for individuals who are seeking work in the non-profit of for-profit sectors as an accountant.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Process checks and organizational expenses, entering into accounting software.
- Send tax receipts to supporters.
- Work closely with accounting team to create current cash reports and financial workflows.
- Create event and travel budgets.
- Assist with managing accounts receivable and accounts payable.
- Assist with improving bookkeeping and accounting procedures.
- Help with Audit and quarterly impact reports.
- Fact check figures for grant agreements and communications materials.
Accounting 101 and 102 classes required, experience with databases, Excel, and mail merge, highly organized and flexible, and excellent attention to detail. You are eager to learn, detail-oriented, never give up, have a great attitude, would love to work in a start-up environment, and believe that creating jobs can end extreme poverty.
Do you love diving into Excel spreadsheets? Does the idea of working with databases excite you? Even more importantly, can you see the beauty and power in the stories that data can tell? Then come work with us!
As the Impact Evaluation Intern, you’ll help us manage our data - incredible information about our impact and the amazing people that help us do our work. You’ll also help us tell compelling stories about our impact by analyzing data from the field.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with managing incoming donations to ensure they get to the right place and are prepared to be distributed to the field. Help our development team by tracking campaign progress while organizing donation information.
- Get to know the ins and outs of the field programs we support in East Africa by interfacing with partners and analyzing the data that comes back from the field.
- Summarize field data and trends and share in team meetings
- Help us expand supporter engagement by sharing our impact in monthly job reports and large donor reports.
A recent college graduate or junior/senior working towards a bachelor's degree or higher. Prior experience with a CRM system (like Salesforce or Netsuite) is a plus. We’re looking for someone who is tech savvy, organized and analytical. You should love data mining, be a master at excel, and believe in the cause.
The Adventure Project creates job opportunities with community impact in the developing world. Led by Becky Straw, The Adventure Project disrupts the cycle of poverty by enabling people to support job creation programs that also have a social impact—from programs where entrepreneurs make and distribute charcoal efficient stoves to families in Kenya to well mechanic training programs in Uganda.
We are based in NYC, just south of Penn Station.
Our culture is collaborative, scrappy and fast-paced. We do a lot with a little - literally, there are only 4 of us (plus our dedicated interns).
We need talented, entrepreneurial-minded people who are not afraid to jump right in.
To intern at The Adventure Project, you don’t have to be an expert in international development - in fact, we love people who are curious and eager to learn and we are happy to help you grow. But, we do look for passion because ending extreme poverty effectively takes a lot of that.
Sometimes you are on a conference call with folks in Kenya, sometimes we take out the trash. Expect to roll up your sleeves and dig in.
Internships are part-time, at least 10 hours per week. School credit is possible. Currently, all internships are unpaid.